Friday, April 6, 2012

Sweet & Treats....& Ice Cream Cake

So when I got the call from my mom to make my sister-in-law's birthday cake, I got so excited! A friend gave me a quick and easy recipe for ice cream cake. And WOW is it delicious. All different kinds of ice cream, cookies and candies can be used. My sister Emily's favorite is Mint Chocolate chip, so I decided to go all out. A double layer Mint Oreo, Mint Chocolate chip ice cream cake. 


Here are the ingredients:    2 cartons of low-fat choc. chip ice cream
                                                            2 packs of mint oreos
                                                            3/4 stick of butter









Here are the quick & easy steps:

Put one pack of oreos into a large plastic bag and seal tightly. Start SMASHING. I used my hand, ice cream carton, salt shaker, my husband's hands, etc. until I got them into small little pieces. 


Next, pour the smashed oreos into a mixing bowl and put softened butter into the oreo's. Stir well. 


MY MISTAKE: I completely forgot the butter and it worked just fine, but the butter does help keep the crust together.


Put buttered crushed oreos into the bottom of a cake pan and spread out evenly to make a thick bottom crust. 


Here comes the fun part! 
Place ice cream carton on its side onto a cutting board. Begin to cut from the bottom of the carton into fifths. They should look like ice cream patties still in the ice cream carton. 


Remove from carton and place in cake pan on top of oreos. Spread the patties out evenly, and do the same with the other ice cream carton.

















Place all ice cream pieces on top of the oreo crumble so no gaps are seen.


Next, take a big knife and start spreading the ice cream out like frosting. Do until ice cream is evenly distributed on all corners and crevices of pan.


Smash the next bag of mint oreos and spread out on top of ice cream. 


Place in freezer for 5-6 hours and serve :)

1 comment:

  1. um... Yea.... I'm going to have to try this out! Looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete