Saturday, April 21, 2012

Peppered Garlic Quinoa with Fresh Avocado


So tonight we decided to make an all-out protein dinner. My husband cooked the flank steak and I “winged” a quinoa dish. I was scared how it would turn out so I continually taste tested it through out the whole process. At the end I was pleased with the overall taste. My husband and I both love spicy foods, and I can honestly say that I think our eyes were both watering by the end of the meal.
 
Here are the ingredients:

-1 cup of quinoa
-2 cups of vegetable broth
-1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes
-4 garlic cloves
-1/2 cup chopped onion
-1 bunch of cilantro
-½ of a lemon
-3 tbs. olive oil
-3/4 tsp sea salt
- LOTS of pepper
-1/2 avocado
-pinch of ground basil

Place quinoa and vegetable broth into medium size pot and bring to a boil.

While quinoa is heating get out frying pan and place minced garlic and 2 tbsp of olive oil on med-low eat. Once it starts to sizzle place chopped onion, seasoning and salt and pepper to frying pan.
 
When quinoa has started to boil, turn on low heat, place lid on top and let it sit for 15 minutes.

After it has sat for 15 minutes, turn off stove, and let it sit for 5 additional minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Next, add onion/garlic mixture from frying pan into quinoa pot. Add finely cut cilantro and 1 tbsp of olive oil. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Lastly, cut an avocado and place on top. Adds to the flavor. :)

1 comment:

  1. love that you started a blog. can't wait to try this yummy quinoa recipe!

    ReplyDelete