Monday, April 16, 2012

Cajun Chicken Black Bean Quesadillas


So tonight my husband and I had planned for our first crock-pot dinner. Clearly, that did not happen. Being rushed out the door this morning, I did not have time to put the pre-planned dinner together, so instead I resorted to a quesadilla. Never did I know that I could have so much fun with it. Being a huge fan of the Matador quesadillas, I tried to use as many of my own ingredients to make it thick and crunchy like theirs. Ashton loved it. :)
 
Here are the ingredients:

-2 raw chicken breasts
-Mrs. Dash Cajun seasoning
-red pepper flakes
-cilantro
-black beans
-whole wheat tortillas
-red or white onion
-cheddar cheese
-mozzarella cheese
- salt & pepper to taste

First, cut the raw chicken breasts into small squares and place them in a fairly large skillet.

Next, chop the onion and place in pan with the chicken and add all of the yummy seasonings. Turn oven on medium high and let the chicken cook.

Get a smaller pot out and put the black beans on a low-med setting.

Next start grading the cheese. And I mean A LOT of cheese. The more the better J

Once the chicken has been cooked set aside in a bowl. Get out a cookie sheet and place one tortilla in the middle of it.

Put oven on High Broil.
 
Now is the fun part. Start layering!

I started with a layer of cheese first, then a thick layer of chicken. Next, with a spoon drain the black beans against side of pot and spread out beans over the chicken, cilantro next, and then one more thick layer of cheese.

Place the other tortilla on top of layers and put in oven. Cook 4-5 minutes or until tortilla has a light brown color and cheese is melted.

Take out, cut like a pie, and serve :)

No comments:

Post a Comment