Sunday, May 6, 2012

Homemade Clam Chowder in a Bread bowl


It was such a beautiful day here in the Pacific Northwest, 65 degrees and sun shining bright. When my dad asked if I wanted to go dig up clams from their beach, I tied up my maxi dress, put up my hair, put on some of my dads old shoes, and grabbed a shovel. Wow, was it successful. They were everywhere! As I continued to put each clam in the bucket my mind was racing with what I could make for dinner. Since my husband dislikes seafood, I knew I had to choose carefully. So clam chowder it was. For some reason he loves clam chowder, as long as there is not too much of a seafood taste. I figured if I added potatoes, bacon, and threw it in a bread bowl I would be sure to please him. And that I did.

Here are the ingredients:

-3 pieces of bacon (I used peppered, cause I always say the spicier, the better)
-1 pint of half-and-half
-3 cups of chicken stalk
-8 diced medium red potatoes, skinned
-1 medium onion
-1/3 cup of chopped up parsley
-pinch of dried thyme
-pinch of sage
-2 tbsp of butter
--2 tsp hot sauce
-pinch of red pepper
-salt & pepper to taste
-3 small carrots, chopped
-2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- LOTS of clams, cut in half


And where to begin:

First, boil the clams while you start the soup. 
Melt the butter in a pot, and stir in bacon, onions, parsley, thyme, sage, carrots, and seasonings. Let it cook for 5 minutes.










Next, stir in flour. Let cook for 1 more minute. Add small amount of hot sauce.


Add half-and-half and stock and bring to a bubble, then stir in potatoes and clams. (After the clams had opened up I put them in a strainer, and cut them in half to make smaller clam chunks).


Bring soup to a boil while stirring frequently, and turn oven down to simmer for 15 minutes.



During the 15 minutes get a large bread bowl ready with dipping pieces on the side.
Once soup thickens, pour into bread bowl and top with green onions and parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment